Wednesday, April 8, 2015

first grade: drawing sunflowers from life.

Today my little first grade artists learned a lesson all about Vincent Van Gogh and the different types of art he liked to make (landscapes, self-portraits, & still-life). They got the opportunity to draw a faux sunflower from life! We learned how to use our eyes to examine and see every single tiny detail. I also got to teach a brief lesson to some quick drawers about value and shading (a.k.a. coloring with your pencil--darks and lights).


"Draw exactly what you see, not what you think you see."



"That's 'cause I'm a fancy drawer, guys!"

I am so, so proud of the quality the end up drawing with. I complimented a little artist today and told him he was an amazing life drawer. The highlight of my day and favorite thing to hear was when that same little boy (who isn't always excited about art) begged to stay so he could finish his sunflower! 

I hope you all had a wonderful Wednesday. On to the tail end of the week! We have a whole school planning session tomorrow after school from 4:00-7:00!

No comments:

Post a Comment