Monday, April 20, 2015

2015 district-wide spring art show.

Howdy friends!

I am off on another adventure with my little artists. Many of my fellow art educators probably know the troubles of what I am about to talk about today: selecting artwork for district shows and displays. It's that time of year again where I try to rush my students to complete projects so I can choose the very best of the best to represent our school at our district visual art events. I'm required to select twelve (Only TWELVE!!) pieces of art. Do you know how many students I teach? Just around 800. Of those 800 students, each makes about 4-6 pieces of art during the school year. Calculate..calculate....Let's just say that it's a lot of artwork to choose from.

It's a very difficult process for me. PROCESS being the key word here. I'm a huge advocate for elementary artists to experience the importance of the process of creating a piece of art. The adventure and experience of getting to work with clay, paint, colored pencils, oil pastels, etc. while problem solving and making mistakes to get better and better each time they re-experience the medium. Often times I see majority of my students succeed, but other times I have upset and disappointed little artists. I find myself reminding them that elementary art is not always all about the outcome, but the process that my student artists get to experience.

Regardless, it is a requirement for me to select a total of 12 pieces of art. I go about my usual selection process of going by class and project and pulling artwork I feel best represents the quality here at our school. I'm really happy with my choices and outcome of my school's district display:

Fifth Grade
Irish Chirp
Papier-Mache 

Fifth Grade
Spaingland
Papier-Mache 

Fifth Grade
Indigo Sunset
Oil Pastel

Fifth Grade
Heaven Skies
Oil Pastel

Fourth Grade
The Bully Reporter
Digital Photography

Fourth Grade
“A Warm Embrace”
Digital Photography

Third Grade
“Mr. Nature”
Colored Pencil

Third Grade
Mother Nature
Colored Pencil

First Grade
Rainbow King of the Jungle

Mixed Medium


First Grade
Roarbow Lion
Mixed Medium

Kindergarten
Three Little Cats
Mixed Medium


Kindergarten
“The Cat's Meow”
Mixed Medium

I hope you all enjoyed this year's Spring Art Show selection! I am so very proud of each of my hard working artists and am so glad these select few get to experience what it is like to have their artwork in a matted gallery setting! These little artists even got to title their very own work! They are so creative with what they came up with!

Until next time (psst...it'll be all about my silent art auction pieces + my big FAMILY FINE ARTS NIGHT)!

No comments:

Post a Comment